Look each month for new ideas from Melissa Polensky COTA/L. She will be sharing great ideas for easy, fun and sensory rich activities that help to support occupational therapy and speech therapy goals.
Need an idea for your kids this summer that doesn’t involve too many difficult steps?
How about making moon sand with your kids!! Be sure to include them in the mixing.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups corn starch or corn flour ( I used starch)
- 10 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Mix all dry ingredients then add the oil. Use spoons, cups and your hands to build and have fun!
Benefits of playing with moon sand:
- Develops fine motor skills
- Encourages pre-writing skills
- Improves sensory processing skills
- Great activity for maintaining focus
- Can also be a tactile calming strategy